Lakes Sky Ultra™ Training Courses 2017
Looking to grow your SkyRunning, Mountain Running and Scrambling Skills? This is what the Lakes Sky Ultra™ training weekend is all about.
13th/14th May 2017
Want to enter the race but don't feel you have the necessary skills? Book via SPORTident Entries (online entries coming soon) on the Mountain Skills Weekend (provisional dates to be confirmed soon) & gain the skills needed to become more confident on the terrain that the Lakes Sky Ultra™ offers.
As race organisers we fully understand the Lakes Sky Ultra™ is a seriously tough undertaking. It is designed for those runners who like to live on the edge a little.
We also know it is an aspirational race that many will want to be able to run, but only a few will truly possess the skill, grit & determination to get round this tough and unrelenting course. Of course scrambling skills are necessary to gain you an entry.
So we have decided to hold another training weekend in 2017 for those that aspire, but don't feel they fully possess the right skills now.
Please understand we cannot teach you to get along with vertigo or a fear of heights. Neither can we give you, in one weekend, the skills necessary to complete the race if you are completely new to this form of running.
What we can do is give you the experience of running along the edges, scrambling in a controlled outdoor environment and hopefully (depending on how you perform over the weekend) get you to a point that you climb Pinnacle Ridge comfortably, allowing you to develop these skills to gain an entry into the Lakes Sky Ultra™ race.
Mountain Run have developed a weekend training event that will address the needs of the Lakes Sky Ultra™. Contained in the weekend you will:
- Run over rough and unstable ground.
- Run ridge lines, and become familiar with exposed ground, gaining an understanding how one wrong foot placement, a trip or slip from such ground could cause you serious injury.
- Run down ridge lines that are pretty severe in nature.
- Scramble over open rock.
- Climb/ascend steep ground.
During the weekend, Mountain Run will aim to make you feel more confident in all of the areas listed above, giving you a sound base of the necessary skills to complete the race. But, please understand, a one weekend training course will not give you the skills, you must then go out and practice and then practice some more.
This weekend is not just open to entrants of the race, its open to those who want to take their mountain running that one step further. If you are thinking of entering the Lakes Sky Ultra™ or the Salomon GlenCoe Skyline and other such events then its a perfect weekend course for you, but equally if you just want to enjoy mixing your running with a bit of rock scrambling then this is the course for you.
Need to know more? For more details please contact email@example.com
Mountain Run also provide 1:1 guided running and scrambling days for tuition and/or skills days for all of the above, plus navigation and winter skills for runners.
Included in the price will be accommodation at the YHA Helvellyn, plus an evening meal Saturday night in the Travellers Rest Pub in Glenridding. There is also breakfast on Sunday morning. This is so all course entrants are in the same location, meaning we can all have a great chin wag and possibly a few beers on Saturday night!
If you require accommodation on Friday evening please let us know & we can arrange this for you.
Arrive Friday evening or by Saturday morning 8:30.
- 9:00 Meet/Greet and explain the plans for the weekend.
- 10:00 – 16:00 On the fell. We will be on the fell, working on skills so warm clothing will be the order of the day as opposed to single layer running clothes. You will also require your own food for the day. We will cover the following topics during the day:
- Confidence on rough ground.
- Safety on steep ground.
- Navigation for runners (basic) geared around ability to self-rescue and navigate off the course by non-marked routes.
- Uphill & Downhill running techniques should you need it.
- Appropriate spare/emergency clothing.
- Course markings.
- Sound Mountain Judgement, what this means and how to apply it.
16:00 – 18:00 Review of the Day
- Mountain Running Kit selection
8:30 – 15:30ish:
6 to 7 hour guided run and scramble to include race route along Striding Edge, descent off Nethermost Pike and down the scramble on Eagle Crag (Grade II), an ascent of Pinnacle Ridge (Grade III), followed by a trot back to Greenside/Helvellyn YHA.
The run/scramble day is not set in stone, depending on the fitness of the group and how fast we move will dictate the distance we cover on the race route
15:00/16:00ish Finish and depart
You will need your usual mountain running gear, including aggressive soled footwear.
However the following kit list will be needed for the course:
- Waterproof jacket & trousers
- Spare L/S base layer,
- Primaloft layer or similar (NO COTTON).
- Hat, Buff or similar.
- Head Torch.
- Survival Bag.
- Hill food for both days.
- Map & Compass – Harvey’s Lake District 1:40000.
- Race Vest/Small Pack to put it all in.
Please be aware we might not be moving very quickly at some points during the day, please account for this in your clothing selection & check the weather a few days before.